Do you want to speak Turkish and meet the other Turkish Learners? Now we are on Google Plus to speak Turkish together! Come and join us!

sonra - later, then, after

This is the 43th most common word in Turkish Language.
We can use it;
1. without ending or;
2. with the ending -'den'

Benim acelem var, ben şimdi gidiyorum, sen  (daha) sonra gelirsin.
I am in hurry, I am going now, you come later.
'sonra' and 'daha sonra' have exactly the same meaning.

Yemekten sonra bulaşıkları yıkadım.
After the meal, I washed the dishes.
This is the same suffix we use with the comparatives. Please see here to learn when to choose -ten,-tan,-den,-dan.

Okuldan sonra eve gittiler.
They went home after the school.


Senden hemen sonra babam da aradı.
Just after you my father also called me.

Saat üçten sonra buraya gel.
Come here after 3 o'clock.

Birden sonra iki gelir.
Two comes after one.


Önce yemek yedik, (ondan) sonra müzik dinledik.
First we ate, then we listened to music.
when you tell a story feel free to use 'sonra' to tell what happened next.
some people say 'ondan sonra' it has the same meaning.
o - n - dan: after that
o: it, that (also he,she but not here)
n: connection 
dan: the suffix for 'from','than' 


Let me share my story about a friend;
I had a friend and she was always saying 'ondan sonra'. It was like between every sentences she was saying it. We were three close friends. And one day my other friend and I, decided to tell her that it was not so nice. Her audience could get bored saying it continuously. We found a good way to tell it hopefully, so she did not get angry and instead she said that she had heard it from the others and she will try not to tell it such often (and maybe she was already trying it!). But at least for a while she could not. And whenever she was about to say those words again we understood and laughed all together.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yorumun için teşekkür ederiz!

Video Lessons

Find us on Google+