Do you want to speak Turkish and meet the other Turkish Learners? Now we are on Google Plus to speak Turkish together! Come and join us!

How to say I don't feel like in Turkish


Today we will learn how to say the common English expression I feel like doing something in both positive and negative form. First we will see some sentences and then make a formula.

First Way

This is the quite easy way;

Canım elma (yemek) istiyor. I feel like eating apple.
Canım yürümek istiyor. I feel like walking.
Canı tartışmak istiyor. She feels like arguing.
Canım hiçbir şey yapmak istemiyor. I don't feel like doing anything.
Canın ne yapmak istiyor? What are you feeling like doing?

->Take the word can; add the suffixes for genitive and the rest is same for all subjects. Just use the original forms of the words.


Second Way

I do not feel like doing anything - Hiçbir şey yapasım yok.

She feels like working today. Bugün çalışası var.

-> Now we saw that if it is positive we say "var" in the end and "yok" if it is negative.

-> What about you feel like asking if someone feels like doing something 

Şarkı söyleyesi var mı? Does he feel like singing?

Yemek yapasın yok mu? Don't you feel like cooking?

-> Just the same verb form but you add Turkish question word "mı / mu"


Now let's learn the rule of forming the verbs.

yap-mak - to do, to make 

the stem "yap" ends with a consononat "p"

yap-ası-m
yap-ası-n
yap-ası
yap-ası-mız
yap-ası-nız
yap-ası

Do you remember those suffixes in the end from somewhere?
They are the genitive suffixes.
Already! I could write in samples benim yapasım, onun çalışası, senin yemek yapasın
But we usually skip them in colloquial language.

So, we need to say ası/esi and add the genitive suffixes.

I mentioned that the verb yapmak ends with a consonant. Because if it ends with a vowel we need to add the connection letter y also;

oku-mak - to read
oku-yası-m (benim okuyasım)
oku-yası-n (senin)
oku-yası (onun)
oku-yası-mız (bizim)
oku-yası-nız (sizin)
oku-yası (onların)

another thing we need to know is that if the last vowel in the verb stem is a,ı,o,u we take -ası otherwise (e,,i,ö,ü) -esi
for example;
sev-mek - sev-esi-m
gizle-mek - gizle-yesi-m

Bugün Türkçe çalışasın var mı? 
Do you feel like studying Turkish today?

Bugün hiç çalışasım yok, başım ağrıyor.
Today I don't feel like studying at all, I have headache.

*One last thing ! 
Sometimes you can see the verb "gelmek" with this verb form and it means almost the same.

When you use var and yok, it is about the current moment, but if you use it with gelmek, you can talk about the past.

Hava çok güzel, dışarı çıkasım geldi.
The weather is so nice, I felt like going out.

Hava çok güzel ama evi bırakasım yok.
The weather is so nice but I do not feel like leaving home.



4 comments:

  1. Gül,
    I don't think I've seen these forms anywhere else. If I've heard them, I haven't recognized them as you've written them. Are they informal speech?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you've seen "want to do something", for example; bugün çalışmak istiyorum - I want to work today. But this is not the exact translation of "to feel like to do something". I would like to hear what you've seen. But yes, these are quite common ways to tell that in daily talk, so they could be classified as informal.

      Delete
  2. I hear "canım istemiyorsa" a lot, but it's the "yapasım,"etc. form that's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Canım istemiyor" is the most common way and always works. I wrote the other alternative just because I wanted you to recognize if you see it in any text.

      Delete

Yorumun için teşekkür ederiz!

Video Lessons

Find us on Google+