Do you want to speak Turkish and meet the other Turkish Learners? Now we are on Google Plus to speak Turkish together! Come and join us!

How to make When ... Sentences in Turkish

In Turkish there are more than one way to say "When ..." sentences in English. Today we will see all these possible sentence forms. Let's start with the Present Tense;


Present Tense
- First we will have a look at the use of when with a verb.
I will tell you everything when I come there. Oraya geldiğimde/Oraya geldiğim zaman/Oraya gelince sana her şeyi söyleyeceğim.
- In the following sentences we will see the word when with nouns.
My mother calls me everyday, when I am at work. Annem beni her gün ben işteyken arıyor.
I see her only when she is at school. Onu sadece o okuldayken görüyorum.
He is never at home, when I am at home. Ben evdeyken, o asla evde değil.
iş-te-y-ken (iş/work)
here -te for at, -y for connection and -ken for when
likewise; (ev/home)
ev-de-y-ken, here we write -de because of the vowel harmony.

When I come Ben geldiğimde/Ben geldiğim zaman
When you come Sen geldiğinde/Sen geldiğin zaman
When he comes O geldiğinde/O geldiği zaman
When we come Biz geldiğimizde/Biz geldiğimiz zaman
When you come Siz geldiğinizde/Siz geldiğiniz zaman
When they come Onlar geldiğinde/Onlar geldiği zaman

If we try to formalize this;
first we write the simple tense for "O"
geldi
and then we add the genitive like my book/benim kitabım and also "ğ"
geldiğim
and -de (-at,in,on) as a last suffix.

It is same for all subjects when we say "gelince" and when we use them with a noun.
ben gelince, sen gelince, o gelince, biz gelince, siz gelince, onlar gelince
ben işteyken, sen işteyken, o işteyken, biz işteyken, siz işteyken, onlar işteyken

Past Tense
When I came to Turkey, it was raining. Türkiye'ye geldiğimde/geldiğim zaman yağmur yağmur yağıyordu.

When I was at work, my mother called me. Ben işteyken, annem aradı.
I saw her when she was in school. Onu o okuldayken gördüm. 
When I was at home, where were you? Ben evdeyken, sen neredeydin?

As you may notice, it is exactly the same with the present tense. The only difference is that we do not use "gelince" form in past tense.

Future
When I will come there, it will rain. Oraya geldiğimde/Oraya geldiğim zaman/Oraya geleceğim zaman/Oraya gelince yağmur yağacak.

Will you be there, when I will be at work? Ben işte olacağım zaman, sen orada olacak mısın?

In the future tense we need to use verb "olmak" if we want to use a verbal noun. And in that case we have only one option to tell this "ben olacağım/sen olacağın/o olacağı/biz olacağımız/siz olacağınız/onlar olacağı".

And for the verbs, as you see again the first two forms are same with the present and the past tense. There are two more alternatives. "Gelince" is same for all subjects;
ben gelince, sen gelince, o gelince, biz gelince, siz gelince, onlar gelince
just like the present tense.
and for "oraya geleceğim zaman" we conjugate it the same way that I wrote before for the verb olmak;
ben geleceğim zaman
sen geleceğin zaman
o geleceği zaman
biz geleceğimiz zaman
siz geleceğiniz zaman
onlar geleceği zaman

Some When Questions
When did you go?
Ne zaman gittin?

When do you go?
Ne zaman gidersin?

When will you go?
Ne zaman gideceksin?

When had you gone?
Ne zaman gitmiştin?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Merhaba Heli, rica ederim :) What about "to like & to love"? If there is something that you want me to explain more, please don't hesitate to ask. And thanks for your questions! Good luck and have a nice day!

      Delete

Yorumun için teşekkür ederiz!

Video Lessons

Find us on Google+