Do you want to speak Turkish and meet the other Turkish Learners? Now we are on Google Plus to speak Turkish together! Come and join us!

Sevmek - To Love & To Like

There are two words that can mean "to like" In Turkish, and these verbs are "beğenmek" and "hoşlanmak". And sevmek means "to love".
We use the verb sevmek/to love in more cases than in English Language. In other words, it is possible to use "sevmek" to say "to like" also.  Beğenmek and hoşlanmak have exactly the same meaning. Maybe the only difference is that we tend to use "hoşlanmak" more than "beğenmek" if we talk about a humanbeing. And the different use of the verb sevmek is that it is almost always possible to use sevmek over these two other words beğenmek and hoşlanmak alhtough they mean "to like" .

Example sentences:
Seni seviyorum. I love you.
You can tell this to your girlfriend/boyfriend and your family members and friends also. 
Burak iyi bir kişi, severim/seviyorum onu. Burak is a good person. I like him.
Anneciğim seni çok seviyorum. Mommy, I love you so much.
Seni çok seviyorum canım arkadaşım benim! I love you so much, my dear friend!

The thing you love can be something else than humanbeing also. For example,
I love that movie, this is the best movie! O filmi çok seviyorum, o en iyi film!
(Notice that I add "çok" before sevmek here to make it stronger.)
I loved this meal, may I take one more plate? Bu yemeği çok sevdim, bir tabak daha alabilir miyim?
In such sentences, if you want to add some more positive reaction or want to imply that you got really impressed by, you can also use the verb "bayılmak" which literally means "to pass out" but "be fond of" or "to adore also"
O filme bayılıyorum!
Bu yemeğe bayıldım!
Sana bayılıyorum! Google Translate translated this sentence as "I love you" but actually it doesn't mean that.
This word has more about impression and likes but not emotionally. In no romantic moments this could work like Seni Seviyorum. But if someone wants to say how beautiful his girlfriend's appearance is then it is the best.
Senin bu yönüne bayılıyorum! I love this attitude/side of yours!
Senin bu yönünü çok seviyorum!

These two sentences are almost same, but when you use bayılmak, you sound like you are more impressed. This is the only difference.

Seni beğeniyorum. Senden hoşlanıyorum. I like you.
Hoşlanmak sounds better for the sentence above.
Bu filmi beğeniyorum. Bu filmden hoşlanıyorum. Bu filmi seviyorum. I like this movie.
But it sounds weird to say hoşlanmak for an object. I would choose beğenmek.
Bu kitabı beğendim. I liked this book.
But if it is negative;
Bizi beğenmedi galiba. Bizden hoşlanmadı galiba. It seemed like he did not like us.
Now it does not sound weird to use hoşlanmak as it is for human, but also;
Bu yemekten hiç hoşlanmadım. Bu yemeği hiç beğenmedim. I did not like this meal at all.

Although you are not in love or you just like something, feel free to use verb "sevmek" it gives the same meaning of the verb "to like" in English except when you are in love and want to say I love you.
And use the verb hoşlanmak for people only, but if it is a negative sentence you may use it for nonliving things, too.

And maybe this is a good example; on Turkish Facebook, "like" button is "beğen"

Please comment if there is something you want me to explain more.
and have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yorumun için teşekkür ederiz!

Video Lessons

Find us on Google+