Do you want to speak Turkish and meet the other Turkish Learners? Now we are on Google Plus to speak Turkish together! Come and join us!

hiç - any, ever, nothing, none, at all, never

Today we are with the 41st common word "hiç". This word can mean various things as you see and I would say that it is a quite useful word. Let's see how to use this word with so many examples!

ANY
Benim hiç param yok.
I don't have any money.

Bugün babam hiç dışarı çıkmadı, hep televizyon izledi.
Today my father did not go out any, he always watched TV.

Hiç şansları yok, bu maçı kazanamazlar.
They don't have any chance, they can not win this match.

Masada hiç bardak yok.
There are not any glasses on the table. *( notice that we use singular in Turkish to form "there are not any" sentences)

Haftasonu için hiç planım yok.
I do not have any plans for the weekend.

Artık sana hiç borcum yok.
I am not owing you any anymore.

Benim hiç haberim yok. (haber: news, one to one translation is that I do not have any news at all.)
I haven't heard it any./I never heard of it.

EVER
Sen hiç Türkiye'ye gittin mi?
Have you ever been to Turkey?

Hiç mi düşünmedin?
Haven't you ever thought?

NOTHING / ANYTHING
A. Ne yapıyorsun? What are you doing?
B. Hiç. Nothing. People say this hiç long. (Another answer would be "hiçbir şey yapmıyorum")

A. Bu akşam ne yapıyorsun/yapacaksın? What are you doing tonight?
B. Hiçbir şey. Evdeyim muhtemelen. Nothing. I am at home probably.

Yiyecek hiçbir şey yok. Yiyecek bir şey yok.
There is nothing to eat. (hiçbir şey: nothing, şey: thing, bir şey: something, one thing)

Televizyonda 'hiçbir şey' / 'birşey' yok.
There is nothing on TV.

Evde içecek hiçbir şey yok.
There is not anything to drink at home.

Buzdolabında içecek hiçbir şey kalmadı. (kalmak: to remain, to be left)
There is nothing left to drink in the fridge.

NONE OF / NOBODY
Hiç kimse sana söylemedi mi? Has nobody told you?
Hiç kimse beni anlamıyor. Nobody understands me.

Çocuklardan hiçbiri bizi aramadı. None of the kids called us.
(Onlardan) Hiçbiri gelmedi. None of them came.

AT ALL
Bu yemeği hiç beğenmedim. I did not like this meal at all.
Bu yemeği beğenmedim. I did not like this meal.

Hiç mi sevmedin, azıcık bile mi?
Haven't you liked at all, not even a little bit?

Hiçbir şekilde kabul edemem. I can not accept this at all.
Hiç anlamadım. I haven't understood at all.

NEVER
Ben hayatımda hiç ağlamadım. I have never cried in my life.
Paris'e hiç gitmedim. I've never been to Paris.
Ben daha önce hiç bunun kadar güzel bir çiçek görmedim. I have never seen a flower as beautiful as this one. *(Notice that we use both a negative word and negative verb at the same time. Except one sentence type, ne/neither.. ne/nor .., this is always the case in Turkish)


Hiç boşuna ağlama, hiç fayda etmez, kararım hiç değişmeyecek..
Don't ever cry in vain, it doesn't do any favors for you, my decision will not change in any circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yorumun için teşekkür ederiz!

Video Lessons

Find us on Google+